This dish uses the risotto method to cook quinoa instead of Arborio rice. I prefer quinoa to almost all grains for its nutritional benefits and texture; it’s also an easy gluten-free substitute. The salty taste of the Parmesan complement the sweet cranberries, making this a dish I will repeat every Fall.
Makes 4 side servings
1 cup raw quinoa
2 cups cooked pumpkin*
1 small white onion, diced
32 oz chicken broth
¼ cup 2% milk½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Put chicken stock in a sauce pot on medium heat to that it stays warm.
- Saute onion and quinoa with a little bit of butter until you can start to smell the quinoa. It will smell like toasted nuts or popcorn.
- Add pumpkin and 1/3 of the chicken stock, stirring it until it absorbs.
- Add another 1/3 chicken stock, again stirring until it absorbs.
- Add remaining chicken stock, covering until quinoa is cooked fully. This is a good stopping point if you wish to prepare ahead of time.
- Add milk, cheese, and half of the cranberries and walnuts. Stir until melted and fully absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put into a serving bowl and top with remaining walnuts and cranberries.