This is absolutely one of my favorite recipes on my blog so far. I love having a big meat entree for a dinner party, but things like prime rib and some roasts end up being served room temperature and even cold. If I’m having a dinner in the winter, and I want the food hot. Braised short ribs are the best way to do this, and once they are in the oven you are pretty much home free. Plenty of time to pay attention to the rest of the meal, clean the house, or take a load off.
The key to cooking short ribs is to braise them; they are a tough cut of meat that has to be cooked low and slow in order to break down the meat and them them tender and juicy. What you braise them in is totally up to you. Traditionally you see them braised in red wine, stock, and herbs. This recipe takes an Asian approach and braises them in garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and Chinese Five Spice. The blend is sweet, savory, tangy, and really just perfect. I have tried to add directions for this recipe to be cooked in a slow cooker since a number of my readers prefer to cook that way. This is an approximation as I don’t own a slow cooker, so be sure to check them along the way!
Asian Braised Short Ribs
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 3 hours 30 minutes Total Time: 4 hours
5 lbs bone in beef short ribs
salt and pepper
4 large garlic cloves
2 tbs fresh ginger
1 yellow onion
2 large carrots
2-3 stalks celery
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs Sriracha
1 tbs Chinese five spice
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs sesame oil
1 box (32 oz) chicken stock + water as necessary
1 orange, zest peeled with a peeler
1. If you are cooking the short ribs in the oven, preheat it to 350 degrees.
2. Use a grater or electric food processor with a grater blade to process the garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, and celery. Pulse until all of the ingredients are finely chopped. Add the soy sauce, sriracha, Chinese five spice, and brown sugar. Pulse to combine.
3. Season the short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat a large, cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil to the pan and brown the short ribs for roughly 10 minutes, or 2-3 minutes per side. From here you have two choices:
– – add the blended mixture to the pot along with the orange juice and sliced orange zest. Cover the ribs with the chicken stock and any additional water necessary so that the ribs are just submerged in water. Cover with your baking lid and bake for roughly 3 hours, checking every hour to make sure there is enough water in the pan.
– – you can also cook the short ribs in a slow cooker. Remove the ribs from the cast iron pan and place them in the slow cooker. Add the blended mixture, orange juice and zest, and again cover with stock and water as necessary. Cook according to your slow cooker directions, but for roughly 6 hours on medium-high heat.
4. Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and cover with foil. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the broth is reduced and thickened.
5. Serve the braised short ribs over mashed potatoes or rice with the reduced sauce. Top with sliced scallions and sesame seeds for garnish.