Pumpkin Pizza with Bacon & Caramelized Onions
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 12 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
1- 1 lb pre-bought pizza dough (white or whole wheat)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 large white onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 slices thick cut bacon
1 tbs fresh rosemary, minced
1 tbs fresh thyme, minced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large saute pan, cook the bacon on medium-low heat for 6 minutes, or until the bacon is starting to get crispy. Remove the bacon and all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. Add the onions to the pan and caramelize for 1520 minutes on low heat, or until they are brown in color and soft. Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for another 2 minute to combine and remove from the heat. Chop the cooled bacon into bite-sized pieces.
3. Roll the pizza dough into roughly a 12 inch circle. Place the dough on a cookie sheet with a bit of flour or cornmeal underneath to keep from sticking. Poke the dough with a fork to prevent air bubbles from forming on the pizza.
4. Dollop the pumpkin puree around the dough, keeping about an inch away from the edge for a crust. Add the onion mixture and bacon in an even layer. Sprinkle the mozz and gruyere on top in an even layer, and season with a good amount of freshly cracked black pepper.
5. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 2 minutes before slicing.