A gorgeous vegetable dish that is great for a holiday side or celebration dinner. Fool your guests into thinking this is a decadent dish- it has been given a makeover to reduce the calories and fat significantly, without taking away from the taste!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
4 cups brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and halved
2 slices thick cut bacon, small dice
½ yellow onion, small dice
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups mixed mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
1 tbs butter
2-3 tbs flour
1½ cups whole milk
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup panko bread crumbs
zest of one lemon
⅓ cup grated gruyere cheese
1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lay the brussels sprouts in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the sprouts start to become crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the heat of the oven down to 350.
3. While the sprouts are cooking, heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the bacon starts to crisp. Add the onion and garlic. Saute another 3 minutes, or until the onions start to caramelize.
Add the mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and a good amount of freshly cracked pepper.
4. Make the sauce by heating the butter and flour together in a sauce pan. Whisk the roux with a silicone spatula for 2-3 minutes, whisking to prevent lumps along the way. Add the milk in a slow, steady drizzle, whisking continuously to create a smooth mixture. Cook the sauce for 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken up nicely. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Lay the brussels sprouts mixture in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the sauce over top of the sprouts, spreading it in an even layer.
6. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sprouts, following by the lemon zest, panko crumbs, and olive oil.
7. Bake the sprouts in the oven for 15- 20 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the crust is lightly browned. Serve hot out of the oven.