Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: Overnight Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients For the Marinade:
1 package chicken thighs- 1½ lbs
2 tbs tomato paste
8 oz non fat Greek yogurt (2 individual containers)
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp salt and fresh black pepper
2 tbs olive oil
For the Chicken:
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced (seeds and stem removed)
1 can of diced tomatoes with juice
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish
1. Whisk all of the ingredients of the marinade together in a large bowl. Put the marinade into a large ziplock bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag shut and gently mix the marinade into the chicken so that everything is incorporated and evenly distributed. Put in the refrigerator to marinate overnight, or for at least 6 hours if you want to make the chicken the same day.
2. When the chicken has finished marinating, remove the bag from the refrigerator and start to bring to room temp.
3. Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, so that the onions begin to caramelize. Scoot the onions to one side of the pan and add the chicken one piece at a time.
4. Add all the chicken in one even layer if you can, and cook on high for 5 minutes. Add any sauce from the marinade into the pan as well as the can of diced tomatoes. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 20- 25 minutes minutes or so, stirring halfway through so that everything gets to the bottom of the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the chicken with rice or vegetables, and as much sauce as you can scrape out of the pan! Garnish with cilantro if desired.