As I mentioned earlier in the summer, I have been experimenting with baking recipes by substituting Greek yogurt for butter. The results have been mostly successful and make for a creamy product that is significantly lower in fat than its original counterpart. We used to make a version of these Orange Creamsicle Muffins during the summer at my bakery in Maine. They were a huge hit with adults because of their light orange flavor and an even bigger hit with kids because of their reference to the creamy dessert. Let everyone be fooled! Instead of the decadent treat you think you are eating, you in fact have a light and healthy snack or dessert to top off any summer day.
Makes: 16 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes Baking Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
16 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp orange extract
1 cup sugar
1 tbs orange zest (1 large orange)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
juice of 1 large orange
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
drop of orange extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray 16 muffin liners with cooking spray and place into two muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, yogurt, apple sauce, and vegetable oil until smooth. Add the sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon and beat until combined.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt along with one cup of the flour. Gently mix until just combined, add one more cup of flour, and repeat until all of the flour is combined without being over-mixed.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to evenly distribute the batter in the muffin liners.
- Bake for roughly 18 – 22 minutes depending on the consistency of your oven. A toothpick will come out almost completely clean when they are finished. Remove from the oven and cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, dissolve the cornstarch and water in a small cup. Use a small sauce pan to heat the orange juice until it just starts to simmer. Whisk the warm orange juice into the cornstarch solution until it begins to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, orange extract, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract. Add the orange juice mixture and whisk until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to glaze the muffins.
- When the muffins have completely cooled, use an icing spatula to glaze the muffins with roughly 1 tbs of glaze. This is sort of a glaze/frosting combination, so you may have to let the glaze come closer to room temperature for best success.