Cornbread is one of those fun baked goods that is great year round. Corn is in peak season right now at the farmers’ market, which made me start to crave its baked counterpart. I modified this recipe from its original on Food Network to make it healthier in a few ways: 1) I substituted whole milk for low fat buttermilk, which adds a great tang and decreases the fat calories. 2) I substituted whole wheat flour for part of the all purpose flour; cornmeal is very textural, so adding another textural flour won’t change the consistency of the batter. 3) I substituted some of the melted butter for unsweetened applesauce, which I find is an essential ingredient in healthy baking. These muffins are light, sweet, and perfectly delicious.
5 GREAT WAYS TO EAT YOUR CORNBREAD MUFFINS!
1) Warmed up in the morning with butter and jelly.
2) As an afternoon snack in the summer with sliced avocado and tomato. Yes, I’m serious, it’s delicious.
3) As a sweet and savory side dish to chile, soups, and stews in the winter.
4) As a pizza crust with some marinara and melted cheese!
5) Chopped up and baked again into croutons for salad. It’s an impressive trick for an appetizer.
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes Baking Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 25 minutes
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
2 tbs butter, melted
2 tbs unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray twelve cupcake liners with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal through salt). Whisk so they are blended together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, making sure that the butter is melted but then cooled a little before incorporating it.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet mixture and whisk it in as you add it.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to portion the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake the muffins for 12- 15 minutes, checking after 12 to see if they are ready. They will come out clean with a toothpick.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before servings.