One of the best ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle is consistency. One of the worst ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle is to be surrounded by baked goods all day and to have the will power not to eat them. I have self control, but not enough to battle old fashioned doughnuts for 8 hours a day. The biggest help for me to come to work prepared with healthier alternatives. The same goes for any other work environment. If you don’t come prepared and all of the sudden you are starving, you end up staring at a vending machine hoping that something looks delicious- it never does. So everyday I come to work with oatmeal.
I love steel cut oatmeal. It’s a little embarrassing to say, but I look forward to eating it every morning. I feel full, I feel healthy, it’s the cherry on top of my sundae. The texture of steel cut oats is completely different than quick oats, even the old fashioned kind. It’s sort of like cous cous in that there are little grains that have to be cooked stove top in order to make them creamy and delicious. Instead of waking up an extra 30 minutes early each morning, I make them the night before my workweek beings. I work an unusual schedule, so I make them on Wednesdays. Five servings of healthy heaven with a variety of toppings to keep things interesting. I store them in microwave safe containers and they are ready to go for the week ahead!
Makes: 5 breakfast servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
Special Equipment: 5- microwave safe storage containers
1 1/4 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water
1 banana, cut in half
1 small apple, sliced and divided
1 tbs dried cherries
1 tbs peanut butter, divided
2 tbs toasted walnuts, chopped
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- Bring the 4 cups water to a boil in a large soup pot. Add the oats and drop the heat so that the oats are on a very low simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the oats are fully cooked through a creamy.
- After the oats have cooked, divide among the 5 containers. You will get just over 1 cup cooked oats per container.
- I divided the toppings in the following way*:
- Chunky Monkey: 1/2 banana + 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter.
- Crunchy Hippy: 1 tbs dried cherries + 1 tbs toasted walnuts.
- Apple Pie: 1/2 of the apple slices + 1 tsp cinnamon
- Funky Monkey: 1/2 banana + 1 tbs toasted walnuts + 1 tsp cinnamon
- Fall Favorite: 1/2 of the apple slices + 1 1/2 tsp peanut butter
- Before you cover the oats, refrigerate them for 10 minutes with open lids so that the oats can begin to cool.
- Refrigerate or freeze until you are ready to eat each morning. I froze 2, refrigerated 3. From the fridge, microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds before eating. From the freezer, microwave for 4 minutes 30 seconds, stirring halfway between.