With the exception of mosquito bites, this is my favorite time for outdoor entertaining. There’s something so nice about the laid back feeling of eating appetizers on the patio while the barbecue is blazing. Laid back, however, does not have to mean lazy. There’s a big difference here. If you are asked to bring something for a dinner party, it’s nice to reciprocate the effort of your hosts by bringing something homemade. This salsa recipe takes maybe ten minutes to make. Make it. Don’t be the guy that opens a jar of Tostito Mild Salsa and calls it a day. That guy doesn’t get invited back to a second dinner party. You- with your homemade salsa- will be the first one on the invite list.
Makes: about 2 cups of salsa (a good size for a dinner party of 10)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes Idle Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
3 medium plum tomatoes
1/2 cup roughly red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, stems and seeds removed and minced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 tbs fresh lime juice
3 tbs minced cilantro + a few leaves for garnish
- For a chunky salsa, roughly chop two of the tomatoes. Cut the third into a nice small dice and set aside. If you want a completely pureed salsa (as pictured) roughly chop all three tomatoes.
- Heat a large saute pan with 1 tbs of vegetable oil. Add the roughly chopped tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, and garlic to the pan. Saute on medium heat for about 7 minutes. The onion and jalepeno should soften and the tomatoes should break down. Remove from the heat.
- When the tomato mix is cool enough to touch, put into a blender with the cilantro. Pulse until you have a puree.
- Remove from the blender and fold in the remaining diced tomato. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Let cool in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with the cilantro leaves. Serve with chopped vegetables and your favorite tortilla chips (in which case it’s ok to bust out the Tostitos).
2 thoughts on “Homemade Salsa”
Your “print” button doeswn’t seem to be working. Any suggestions?
I tried myself and didn’t seem to have a problem! But if it’s still not working, I usually highlight, copy, and paste into a word document when I have similar issues. I can otherwise e-mail you directly with any recipes!